Monday, February 1, 2010

February 2010, Taking Stock

I signed up for the ravelympics. There's been a little more knitting time lately even though I don't always have the inclination for it. This isn't the fault of knitting. This is the fault of overcrowding and other people wanting to sit in the knitting chair, plus the noise and disruption associated with all these new bodies in the house. It's not that they're being bad or awful -- they're not. It's just that the second I get into the knitting chair, the dog wants attention. Or the boy. Or the sister. Knitting is my quiet time, my time for contemplation and unbroken rhythms. Or I want it to be that, anyway.

In any case, I'm on ball three of the green afghan, and I'm making progress on the second sock of the burgundy bearfoot. I would gladly show off some pictures, but my camera lens has broken. I think it can be repaired but I haven't had time to deal with it yet. I just keep forgetting. This will have to be repaired before the ravelympics, of course, because they want photos.

So far, the only project I've designated is St. Brigid. My hope is to finish the back and get a good start on the sleeves. That would be a wonderful accomplishment as it would represent a big chunk of time set aside for knitting.

It's possible. Not easy, but possible.

My urge for the past several weeks has been to take stock of my routines and schedule and try to get some better routine and balance. This is merely a function of the chaos around me -- I'm searching for some sense of control, and not finding it. But I'm within a few hours of finishing a major, major project, something several months in the making, and once that is off my desk, I have the sense that a routine will be possible. So this has been much on my mind. What I wouldn't give to be able to block out a rough schedule for each day -- so many hours for this task, then an hour on that, then an hour on that, and so on. That's how I function best, and that's beginning to feel within reach.

And the ravelympics may be a great motivator to reestablish that kind of daily rhythm. I'm looking forward to it.

So what about the rest of you? Who has signed up, and what events will you be competing in?

5 comments:

Kris said...

Good luck to you on getting into some sort of schedule, I think you'll much happier if you are.

I'm participating in the Ravelympics with Team Faery Ring and competing in the WIP-Dancing. I was also thinking about doing gloves too...we'll see. I can't wait to see what progress you make on your St.B;)

Bronwyn Parry said...

I'm not in Ravelympics this year - I have a deadline at the end of this month, and a whole lot of book still to write. Most of my current knitting is just easy, pick up, put down knitting that I can work on while I'm staring at the computer screen, waiting for words to appear. So, my knitting chair is my computer chair!

Is your office big enough to put a second knitting chair? It sounds like you need a comfy place away from all the activity, where you can just knit by yourself sometimes.

All the best for a more relaxing, knitty February!

A :-) said...

No Ravelympics for me, but I'm making progress on some gift projects that are busting the H E double hockey sticks out of my stash (I know, you're so jealous ;-D).

Sounds like you need an afternoon at my house on the comfy sofa with something mindless on the telly. Let's set it up!

RandomRanter said...

I'm in. I think I'm going to try for a sweater but haven't quite narrowed it down.

Amy said...

I totally understand about the extra bodies in your house. :) I changed my bed to a futon so I could have some quiet space of my own.

I signed up for Team Mary's faires but since I have been working on my Faerie Ring I can't use it. So I am going to be finishing up my Botanica Medallion. Also I might do a weaving project as well.