Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sheep! Baby Sheep!




















It was my pleasure to test knit this pattern for Knifty Red, a/k/a Kris Carlson, a/k/a designer extraordinaire. The pattern is now live an on sale at ravelry (ravlink to pattern). I had one skein each of Paton's Beehive acrylic in the 4-ply fingering, which seemed more sport than fingering to me. It knit to the right gauge, so it's all good. The yarn is durable acrylic, a little splitty but nicer than your average acrylic. I had a half skein of each color left over, but they're big skeins.

The picot hem was fun, and the added weight of the doubled fabric there makes the woobie drape nicely. The instructions were very easy to follow. I chose to make mine in blue and white because all the other test knitters were using brown and gray, and I wanted to see how it would look in a color. I think the result is cute and playful in a muppety way.

It knit up in no time at all. I spent two weeks on it, but I was also knitting around on other things, and I didn't have a lot of knitting time during those two weeks. If you're one of those people who knits an hour or two a day, I can see this being done in a week. The final bits -- sewing the ears and curly hair to the head, embroidering the face -- took longer than expected, but the rest flew off the needles, so it balanced out.

The head swallowed up a shocking amount of stuffing. But the end result is great -- really, I can't say enough good about how this came together. It's going into the poor box at church for the Christmas toy drive. It will make some baby out there very happy, I hope!

No comments: