Last week my mother asked me if I wanted to go to the Covered Bridge Festival in Parke County, Indiana, for a long weekend. We used to do this every year with a group of women, including some of her high school girlfriends and their daughters. In recent years, what with mom's health concerns and my travel schedule, we haven't been able to manage it.
Anyway, it sounded like a fine idea to me, so away we went for a long sunny weekend of shopping, eating, chattering --
-- and driving. We put 600 miles on the car, about 200 of which was at night. But the daylight drive time was sufficient for me to finish the HPYC socks pictured above. My feelings about this yarn haven't changed. Great dye job, lousy base. The finished socks feel a bit flimsy.
Luckily, I brought another ball of sock yarn just in case I finished the HPYC socks. This is Alpaca Sox on size 1 needles. This yarn is lovely to knit, soft and springy and responsive to the touch. It's fuzzing a little already from the alpaca content. We'll see how they wear over the long run. Using size 1s instead of my ubiquitous 1.5s ought to minimize any pilling.
The editor in me is compelled to say this....
As you're listening to the news these days, regardless of your political slant, try to keep one thing in mind. The difference between "voter fraud" and "voter registration fraud" is much like the difference between "lightning" and "lightning bug." Get upset if you want to, but know what it is you're getting upset about.
(apologies to Mark Twain for that one)
2 comments:
It is fascinating to me how the socks look alike in the end!
Do you have to chose a part of the yarn for each sock that was fairly much the same?They are lovely!
And your trip sounds terrific!
I checked out the festival on the net...and the covered bridges, wonderful history there! I have seen the ones in Madison county... and John Wayne's birthplace in Winterset... your post brought it back!
Cheers Carol
Good thinking ahead on another ball of yarn. I hate running out.
Post a Comment