Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ouch! My Aching Wallet!

















From the top: Austerman Step, Silver Creek Merino in color Iris, Bearfoot in solid-ish burgundy, and Claudia Handpainted in a colorway that ought to be named cloudy skies, because that's what it looks like to me.

We piled into a van and hauled on up to The Fold Saturday because Kris needed more yarn for her Fulmar and I needed dye for Lady Eleanor. I was going to be all good and virtuous and not spend money except for the dye and maybe a little sock yarn. The Fold has such a nice selection of sock yarn, and as we all know, yarn has a tendency to leap of its own accord into my shopping basket and sneak a ride home in the back of my car. This is because yarn love me so much, and how can I deny something that wants to be with me so very much?

Yeah. That's it. That's the reason. Because yarn loves me.

So we walk in, and greet the lovely Toni, and chat a minute. I showed her my Fulmar in progress, and Kris showed hers, because we both bought the yarn there during the infamous spinning wheel trip last spring. The whole time we were talking, I kept glancing over my shoulder at something very, very dangerous.

New yarn.

So much new yarn that she even had a new display rack front and center by the sock yarn.

The others started wandering and browsing, but I stopped cold in front of that new display. Claudia Handpainted, lots of new colors of Step and Trekking, even sock yarn made from alpaca. Things I can't get at home, things I haven't ever seen in person before. At one point, I had about nine skeins of sock yarn clutched to my heaving bosoms.

And then I made the dreadful mistake of walking into the yarn room.

Gasp!

...clutch chest...



















It's so -- so -- so --

PURPLE!

And it's Silver Creek Merino, one of my soopah fave yarns!

I think half the store heard my yarngasmic gasp at the sight of that yarn. Luckily, I've been there before. They know me. They know this is just my charming little way. No need to call the paramedics.

It's just because I'm so overwhelmed by how much the yarn loves me.

So I dithered and fussed over how many skeins to buy. I've never seen that purple before. Toni says she had it, but I beg to differ. There is NO WAY this yarn would not have followed me home had I seen it before, and EVERY TIME we've gone to The Fold, I've ended up standing in front of the Silver Creek shelf, pattern list in one hand, calculator in the other, computing the total damage, muttering, "need it, need it, got it, need it, got it" as I scan the colors.

My theory? When I needed a couple more skeins of the Royal for Fulmar, Toni and/or her son went into their storage room to look for it. She mentioned at the time that she found a big box of it. I think the purple was in that box. Just a theory, because, seriously? This yarn belonged to me from the moment it came out of the mill. We just hadn't found each other yet.

I bought every skein she had -- there are eight -- and will use them to make the Swedish Thora.











Also, here is a better picture of the Bearfoot. This yarn doesn't like to have it's picture taken. It's very shy and tries to blend into the countertop. I had to take a lot of pictures to get this one with the true color showing.

So....

The Fold trip was planned before I made my Skinny-4-Stash goals, and that's probably just as well. I would have owed myself a whole slew of treadmill miles to pay for this yarn! And given that the treadmill at the clubhouse broke last weekend (seriously bad bad timing), I'd probably still be walking off that yarn come January.

No, not really. I'm going to go buy a health club membership this afternoon. Gotta have a treadmill if I want to get Skinny-4-Stash and ever be able to shop again!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kris said...

Oh gosh I love the Silver Creek...I'm still dreaming of that rosy champaign color.

Hey...I don't remember seeing Bearfoot in your basket!?! It must have been one of those that jumped in;)

Unknown said...

Oh my. Conratulations on being so well loved.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I finally got a blogger account and I am delurking myself to say I've been enjoying reading your site since this spring. I was instanly hooked in by finding the picnic scene from Jane Austen's Emma on your page. Furthermore, I didn't know there was anyone else out there reading Georgette Heyer. (Try "Black Sheep".)

Have you found a way to knit and read at the same time? My knitting time is cutting into my reading time which is cutting into my knitting time...