Saturday, November 15, 2008

Buh-Bye Now

























Do you see what I mean about this yarn? The colors work together so much better when they're not pooling.

I haven't decided what to do about this yarn. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Changing the gauge would also change the fabric density (and would therefore change the durability and wearability of the socks), so I don't think that would work in the long run, even if it would certainly disrupt the color pattern.

But a pattern, that might do the trick. With the help of ravelry, I've identified several patterns that might work better. Anything that breaks the tendency to pool the colors would do it. At the moment, I'm leaning toward entrelac of some kind. Either that, or I might bag the idea of socks altogether and do a scarf of some type.

Truth, though? What I really want is a finished fabric that looks something like the picture above. Because the colors don't pool, the eye sees them a bit differently. File this under "Yet Another Longed-For Impossibility."

For now, we're going to let this yarn rest. I won't bother trying to straighten out the kinks from having knit it, but winding it back onto the ball and ignoring it will help it relax. In other words, I have a great excuse for avoiding a decision on this yarn for a while.

And let's face it. It's not as though I'm hard-up for knitting material. I'll just knit some of my other hundred thousand yards of yarn.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Yes I see what you mean...it is lovely like that in the wriggles...those little bits of yellow look like baby spagetties!
Fate & time will bring an answer...
Cheers Carol