Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change

Last night, I stayed up very late to watch the election returns. Yes, this one was called pretty early, but I wanted to witness the moment that Indiana turned blue. I lived in Indiana most of my adult life. I never thought I'd see the state cast its electoral votes for a Democratic president. The state is too stoically self-reliant to go in for all that Democratic social-justice stuff.

It's like a miracle. A skinny black sou'sider turns Indiana blue, and now there's a chain reaction of other miraculous change happening in my life this morning...

... Money we've been waiting for for months and months at the family business arrived this morning. (This was big money from a fat cat oil company -- they had no reason not to pay, except for being jerks.) But, get this. They actually apologized for the late payment. WTF??

... We were supposed to have another foundation inspection this morning at 9. Imagine my surprise when the doorbell rang at 8:15 and it was the repairmen themselves. They decided to stop arguing about details and just fix it already. They're down there banging around again. Still no word on whether they need to re-excavate the backyard.

... When I called my dad to tell him the repairmen were here, he told me the city inspectors are on their way to inspect the new place. I can't describe all the reasons this is good news. The building failed the first fire inspection, but that was before we took possession. The new place was a shambles when we moved in, and we've been busting our butts with an eye toward new inspections.

... Best of all, I actually get to go to stitch and bitch tonight. I might be late, but I still get to go. I might not get to knit much because of my ouchie shoulder, but I still get to go. :D

It feels as though the whole world is coming unstuck this morning. It's not even 9 o'clock yet. The new day is just beginning, and already I'm being greeted with smiles and miracles everywhere I turn. A friend sent me this quote from Daily Kos:

It's a great day for Democrats and Republicans alike. For Democrats, Barack Obama was elected President. For Republicans, there was finally dancing in the streets and Americans greeted as liberators.

I think I'd better go buy some lottery tickets. What the heck. Today it feels as though anything is possible.

Sign me,
An Inspired Swing Voter, Grateful for Change

ETA: Holy Crap. A couple of months ago, around the time of the conventions, I entered an election pool with some old buddies. I just got an email letting me know that I nailed the popular vote split to the tenth of a percent. Yeah, time to buy lottery tickets.

3 comments:

Ally Jay said...

Blow som eof that good karma this way please. Hope the good luck continues.

Carol said...

Wonderful to have you back ...been watching out for you! Sorry to hear about your fall and the shoulder! Have someone massage it with a nice heat linament...

Downunder here I was really pleased with your election result! keep hearing Dr. Kings speech "I have a dream" in my head!
It certainly was a
"where were you when" moment for me!
Lovely to have you back and absolutely No crochet for your poor shoulder!(not for a year!!lol)
Cheers Carol

RandomRanter said...

Hope the shoulder feels better. But, I'm glad you got to do some knitting!