Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Change of Course

They say the devil lives in the details. Not that I would know anything about that....

On Friday, I realized I was within two rows of dividing the front of Catherine Parr for the neck shaping. As this is a crew neck, more or less, that means there's very little knitting left to do. I did some rough math and realized I could probably finish the sweater before the end of the year.

And then I also realized I would need a second ball of yarn to knit from, once the neckline is divided into two pieces.

This isn't the kind of detail that would normally pose a problem. Normally. I had wound off several skeins of the dark green Cascade 220 and put them in a sack in my knitting bag for just this moment. Er, better make that the previous moments when I finished skeins. All the pre-wound balls in my bag have been used.

Again, not normally a problem, right? Just haul out the swift and wind off another cake. So out comes the swift, out comes the winder, and both are clamped in place. Then I went to my storage closet to get a skein, and that was when it hit me.

I had no idea where the rest of the yarn might be.

You might remember that a couple of months back, I photographed and catalogued most of my yarn in preparation for moving it to a storage location. At that point, I tried to also reorganize it more neatly -- like yarns together, every bin filled, and so forth. Somewhere on that journey, I decided to remove the "knits in progress" yarns from their usual home in the stash closet and put them --

Somewhere else. Somewhere really clever. Somewhere, I'm sorry to admit, that I couldn't for the life of me remember.

While I tried to remember what my brainstroke had led me to do, I grabbed the pink sweater and cast on the sleeves.





















Because I'm not sure there's enough yarn for full sleeves, I decided to do a provisional cast on at the widest part of the sleeve, just below the sleeve cap shaping. You can see the gray waste yarn of the provisional cast on in the picture. Then I knit the sleeve cap in usual fashion (bottom up). Then I picked up the stitches at the provisional cast on, and will knit down until the sleeves are done or the yarn is gone, whichever comes first.

I've used this "middle out" sleeve construction technique in similar circumstances, and it's the best argument in favor of knitting the sleeves last. Do both sleeves at once, and you won't end up gimpy-armed if your yarn runs a bit short.

4 comments:

A :-) said...

Oh dear - I hope you find the rest of the Catherine Parr yarn soon.

Bridget said...

How frustrating! Especially when you *know* you had it before.

That's a nice color of pink, btw. I'm usually not a big fan of pink, but I like that shade.

Kris said...

oh crap. I could always come over and relieve you of some of that yarn while searching;)

Anonymous said...

Kris had my thought. I guess she beat me to it. If I were a mouse in your stash would I find something nice for the St. Bridget??????