Sunday, December 21, 2008

When Looks Deceive






















These may look like rather ordinary, lumpy cookies. But the taste is really something special. Several of you who participated in the cookie exchange asked for the recipe. It started off as a recipe ripped from a magazine, but -- this may come as no surprise -- I tend to tinker with recipes. Yeah, that's right. I cook the same way I knit. Recipes, like patterns, are never made as written. I may only fool around on the margins, but I always read a recipe and think, "Ooh! That sounds good. But it would be better if...."

In any event, this started off as a recipe for a sandy cookie with jelly swirls. And now it is...

::drumroll::

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies

5 T butter
1/3 c dark brown sugar
1/3 c white sugar
1/3 c raspberry jam
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 generous cup dark chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Add egg and mix well. Add vanilla and raspberry jam. (Jam will be easier to stir in if you nuke it for a few seconds. Be careful not to overheat it, but just warm it slightly.) Add flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix thoroughly. Mix in nuts and chips.

Drop by spoonfuls onto well-greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes. Don't overbake. Allow them to cool for just a couple of minutes on the pans before transferring to racks. They need a bit of a rest before handling.

Just fwiw, I like the Girardhelli 60% dark chocolate chips. They're nicely shaped and have a good flavor and are very easy to find. The combination of tang from the raspberries, sweetness from the pecans, and richness from the chips is a real treat.

3 comments:

A :-) said...

They looked fab and everyone loved them! Can't comment on the taste because there was chocolate involved, but from what I heard and observed, they were a total hit!! So great to see you :-)

Bridget said...

Wow. Chocolate. Raspberry. Pecans. They sound perfect!

Kris said...

Tasty Indeed.

Thanks for sharing!