Saturday, December 6, 2008

Pondering January



















Oooh, look at that purty purple. So yummy. Torino feels every bit as soft as, say, Malabrigo, but it's plied and perfectly round.

Round enough for good cabling?

Thanks, Knifty Red, for the reminder in the comments. Honestly, I've been so focused on other things -- like finishing other knitting, and creating that interactive e-book, and let's not forget the mumblety-mumble holidays and the way they hoover up huge chunks of life -- that I'd completely forgotten about our new team project set to start in January.

We're knitting St. Brigid. And I think mine might just be in the purple Torino.

I purchased this Torino several years ago at Kool Knits in Naperville. I think this predates the opening of Nana's Knitting Shop in my neighborhood, because Nana's carries Torino and if Nana's carries something, I buy it there.

I'm actually getting much better at self-control while breathing that delicious nectar of yarn fumes at Nana's. Used to be, I couldn't get out of there for less than $100. These days, it's often under $50. Rumor has it that I've been witnessed leaving after open knitting with no new purchases. But my stash closet doubts the truth of these rumors.

Financial self-discipline has become a pressing concern for me lately. I have enough money to live on, but I'm very worried about the economy, as are most people. This past week, though, in back-to-back explosions known around the publishing world as "Black Wednesday" and "Gray Thursday," the axe fell on many heads at many houses. Editors, artists, sales specialists, managers -- at one house, I hear an entire production department was laid off.

Publishing is a small industry and requires a specialized skill set. It's not enough to know where to put the commas. You have to also be able to predict the future and know what people will want to read a year or two from now, which cover graphics will be more appealing, which topics will be hot. It's not guesswork, though gut feelings do come into play.

The people who lost their jobs this week, a staggering number of people, have demonstrated abilities to both predict the future and get the commas in the right spots. They were smart, talented, capable people, folks with track records of creating best-sellers and prize-winners.

And now they're out of a job, and frankly, this is probably just the beginning of an whole-industry contraction in publishing.

My job is safe. For now. And for the foreseeable future. But, to be perfectly candid, I can foresee less of the future than I used to. And in a job that requires a fortune teller's ability to see the future, this troubles me more than I can express.

I was going to use the purple Torino to knit a FLAK aran according to Janet Szabo's instructions. I bought extra yardage to allow for all the sample swatching she recommends, and if I use this yarn for St. Brigid, I'll have around 500-600 yards leftover.

But, with the future so uncertain, I might just hang onto my cash and use the stash. It's a tough decision.

What do you all think? Have you changed your shopping habits even though your income is unchanged? Am I being overly panicky?

4 comments:

Bridget said...

That is really pretty yarn, I would be tempted to use it ...

I'm so jealous that you are going to knit St. Brigid - I've been wanting to make that forever! But I don't have enough of any stash yarn to use it, and since I'm out of a job on December 17, I won't be buying any more yarn, at least for the near future ...

A :-) said...

I think that would make a fabulous St. Brigid. KniftyRed and I were just talking about the KaL on the train on Friday :-) I'm getting excited about it too!

I would go with something in the stash (I am going with something in mine). There's nothing wrong with being good stewards of our money. :-) And even if you have leftovers you can make a hat and scarf, some mittens - some wooly thick socks - there's lots you can do :-)

Many industries that are usually impervious to economic downturns are being affected this time - and I think it's going to get worse next year before it ultimately gets better. I think it sorta behooves us to be smart about our moola.

Kris said...

Oh how fabulous! I love that yarn and think it will be perfect for St. Brigid.

It's hard times and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. I think you are better to anticipate the worst and hope for the best.

Carol said...

Hi, Very interesting post!
The purple yarn is lovely...just the perfect colour start of new Presidency!! Oprah mentioned the Colour Purple in a quote!

Your comments about the publishing industry in the USA are very interesting, great insight, thank you!

The Financial Sector, Banks, Travel industry & Car industry have been hit here. Just one bank is laying off 800 people before Christmas.
Our population is 20 million, so although these figures are not huge compared to the pop. of the US, in a smaller economy the damage is relative.
Every one will be tightening the belt, but I suspect most will have a good Christmas (if they can) and worry about the rest after New Years!

Cheers Carol