A knitblog with no pictures of knitting? What am I thinking?
Actually, one of the reasons I've resisted getting a knitblog is that I don't own a digital camera. Yes, I intend to get one, probably in the next couple of weeks. So yarn p0rn will be forthcoming eventually for all the skeevy yarn pervs out there in bloglandia. (I am one of you! Bring on the yarn p0rn!)
That said....
I have strongly mixed emotions about buying a digital camera. The technology isn't all that great yet. Picture quality is nowhere near that of film, and by my guesstimation, my fingertip is roughly six times the size of those teenie weenie buttons. Which are usually all jammed together. And dude, I am clumsy, so this is one of those recipes for disaster. "Crap! I meant to take your picture, but instead, I detonated a nuclear warhead in Altoona! Everyone duck!"
Plus, I've never been one to jump on the latest gadget bandwagon. What others take as a routine part of modern life, I take on a case by case basis. And in the world of gadgetry, that usually results in my abstinence.
Don't believe me? Try this one on for size. I do not now own, never have owned, and never intend to own a cell phone. I am so anti-cell phone that I have refused second dates with men who brought their cell phones on first dates. Think about it. If they can't focus on you during a first date, but have to answer the phone to talk to their boys about sports/tits/cars/farts, or to their office about anything at all after hours during a social event, or to their mothers about laundry/haircuts/great-aunt Esther's bunions, then what in the bloody hell is he going to be like two years down the road? You think he's going to pay more attention to you after he gets used to you?
I'll save the rest of the cell phone rant for another day. The point is, I'm one of those people who walks my talk. If I think cell phones suck, nothing on the planet will persuade me to get one. (Yes, I'm a Taurus. How could you tell?)
And my opinion of digital cameras has been mixed. I was planning to wait until the technology is more consistent, and then re-evaluate. We haven't reached that point yet.
Meanwhile, I love reading knitblogs, and most of the knitters who know me seem to think I need to blog. And, you know, I work in the world of writers and publishing. All you have to do is hint that there might be an audience for my writing, and I'm all over it like smog on L.A.
So where does this leave us?
With a temporarily pictureless knitblog, while I try to resolve the dilemma over which camera to buy. Should I buy a higher end one in the hopes that I might get semi-decent picture quality? Or should I buy a cheap one because, you know, it's a digital camera and will therefore suck no matter how many pixels and nuclear detonators it has.
What do you think?
Friday, March 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think you need a camera, but you don't need one of those big expensive types. Now when I say expensive I mean over $400 bucks. Anything below that is middle of the road. Now, cheep is considered anything under $100 bucks and not worth it. With all things considered, I think you'd do well to buy a $200 buck, 7-pixel style with auto flash and get the results you looking for. If you ever want any help on the technical photo retouching side, I'd be more then willing to show you some EASY tricks with FREE software.
Actually, the technology if fantastic. Most professionals photographers have made the switch to digital because the photo quality is actually BETTER.
Our wedding photographer used all digital, and I couldn't be happier.
I got my camera on Woot! for about $100. It works well, and I've learned some tricks for better pictures from Kris.
Post a Comment