Monday, October 1, 2007

October 1 Means...

















October 1 means that the streetlights are still on at 8:30 in the morning, an hour past sunrise, because the sky is a thick gray blanket.

October 1 means that there's a hint of fall color in the trees, and everything is somehow wet even though it's not raining.

And October 1 means...




















Fulmar!

Like the total knitdweeb I am, I stayed up late last night studying the Fulmar charts and wondering how I would ever sleep. At one point, I looked at the clock and thought, 11 p.m. means it's October 1st somewhere, can I cast on now, can I can I can I?

And then this morning, I woke with all the anticipation of a kid on Christmas morning. It's here! OMG at laaaaaaaaaast!

Fulmar Day!

I leaped out of bed -- and dudes, trust me, it usually takes dynamite and a forklift to get me out of bed in the morning. But not today! Not on Fulmar day!

I cast on and started knitting with a big dopey grin on my face. Yay, I finally get to knit this sweater!

And then it hit me. This sweater used to scare the bejeepers out of me. I was terrified to knit it. Seriously, so intimidated that every time I looked at that page in the "Aran Knitting" book, I would feel my belly do a little flip. How gorgeous, I would think, and then almost in the next nanosecond, That's way too hard for me.

See how things change? All it took was a little thing like 91 other knitters in a KAL, a set start date, and a mountain of swatch knitting, and here we are. Eagerness has replaced terror.

October 1 is turning out to be a pretty good day.

No comments: