Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Trash, Meet Garbage
















I washed it. The yarn softened and feels quite nice now.

But it shrunk -- yes, shrunk, dammit, as if I needed more problems with stubborn misbehaving sock yarn, shrunk by more than a half-inch in foot length -- and what was a very tight fit at the ankle now won't go onto my foot at all.

Done. (insert foul language of choice here)

Cross this one off the list. Do we need to eulogize it? Jaywalker, we hardly knit ye. Full many a jaywalker was born to blush unseen and waste its sockiness on the garbage pail. Or something like that.*

That's two projects off my UFOctober list. Three and four will follow within mere days after I can finally reveal the two secret knitting projects. Yay! Then that leaves ... er... have to go check, because I've already forgotten what was on my UFOctober list. (If any of you see my brain, please send it back to my skull with a stern warning to stop straying from home.)

* My inner English dork compels me to confess that this is a corruption of a line from a Thomas Gray poem, Elegy in a Country Churchyard. The actual line is, "Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, and waste its sweetness on the desert air." Gray deserves better than to be abused by the likes of me and my socks.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Kris said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

lets all bow our heads for a moment of silence.

Anonymous said...

Same reaction - NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

In fact, seeing that picture reminds me that YOURS was the striped Jaywalker I saw that looked so nice. Can't you just find someone with smaller feet and really skinny ankles? (sadly, not me.)

Unknown said...

So you've decided to *darn* that jaywalker! You're not the first one! Blame Kris. I clearly recall this being her idea and her fault.

Macoco said...

Oh no, that is so sad.

Rebecca F said...

Poor little sock. Oh, and I think your brain is off playing somewhere with mine. Seriously.

I've lost my watch again. I had it on my wrist ten minutes ago, and I can't remember moving from this spot -- but the watch is gone just the same.

miyamojo said...

Jaywalker Socky, blue and white,
Why must you put up such a fight?
Now you shrunk beyond repair,
So I put in the garbage pail.

I'm not a poet and I know it!!

Hope Fulmar treats you better!

Michele :)

Tina said...

Well, it's been a rocky relationship with that jaywalker. I'm sure it was hard, but you're clearly not made for each other.

The sock is dead. Long live the sock!