Friday, October 26, 2007

Skinny-4-Stash

I've been dwelling on two facts lately. One, the knitter's conundrum, that I have plenty enough yarn but still enjoy buying more. Two, that after over a decade of medical problems resulting in tremendous weight gain, I've been finally given the all-clear to go on a reducing diet.

Seems I'm not the only one dwelling on this pair of thoughts.

KniftyRed came up with a great idea. We're going to get skinny for stash. We're setting diet and workout goals, and get to "pay" our stash budget for each goal met. And we get to pick our goals and our payouts. Not a bad plan.

So here goes.

I, Knitterary Gargantua, to further the goal of becoming Knitterary LaPetite, will take the following measures.

1. For every day that I stick to my food plan, I get to add a quarter to the stash jar.

2. For every day that I avoid animal fats entirely, I get to add a bonus quarter to the stash jar.

3. For every mile walked on the treadmill, I get to add a quarter to the stash jar.

That's it. Simplicity. In the course of a week, I have the potential to add ten dollars or so to the stash jar. No gimmicks, no complicated plotting or scheming. Just eating right and exercising, which is at the heart of a good reducing plan.

Some others are tying their goals to pounds lost. I thought about doing that, but that's when reality jumps up and pokes me in the eye. I have a metabolic disease. In the past, I have gained weight on 700 calories a day. We think that my body can tolerate this diet now and won't go completely fucking haywire again. But we don't know it for sure.

But independent of the ultimate goal to lose weight, this eating plan and exercise plan is a good thing. The diet takes into account some new science about the way our metabolisms work, and I probably should be following it (or something close to it) regardless of total calories taken in. If I put my focus there instead of on the scale, I will know that I'm doing right by my body.

I can't control the outcome, but I can control the process. So that's where my focus will be.

2 comments:

Kris said...

oooooooo....I like your goal! ...now you got me rethinking this whole S4S thing. We'll see...I might switch it up if pounds don't come off;)

Anonymous said...

I like your idea. I may try a modified form of it myself. My stick-to-it has been getting weak lately, at least partly from boredom with my food plan. May I modify and use your idea and button?