I can't believe I got a decent photo of this yarn. On my monitor, the colors in the photo are an almost perfect match for the colors in the yarn in person. Every other time I've tried to photograph this sock, I've ended up with a muddle that obscured the brightness of the barberpole stripes.
Anyway. Just had to share it.
I'm going to post some in-progress pictures this week so that I can track how far I get over the course of my four week cast-on ban. These socks are the most recent new things I've started, and they were cast on for the trip to San Francisco a month ago. That means I went all of August without giving in to that startitis itch. That gives me confidence for the next four weeks! I can do it! I already have. :)
And, well, now that we're in election season, politics is on my mind these days. I watched the Dems last week, and I'll watch the Rs this week when they start broadcasting anything real. Yesterday, because they pulled George Bush off the speaker platform, we were left with coverage of an anti-war demonstration (on C-Span) or heavy loop coverage of the hurricane and Bristol's pregnancy on the news affiliates. Tonight should be better. I found yesterday hard to take, though Sunday afternoon's C-Span coverage of a convention focus group was fascinating.
One idea I can't dislodge from my mind -- I personally don't care what Bristol does with her coochie, but I must say that if I had come home pregnant at 17, my mother's response absolutely would NOT have included the words "proud" or "excited to be grandparents." Nope. Not a chance of that. Try "mortified" and "you're grounded until you die from old age, missy."
But whatever. As long as Bristol was 17 on the date of conception, her babydaddy didn't break any laws, so ::shrug:: A teenager used bad judgment. News at 11.
I'm far more concerned about the story that isn't getting much press, the one about Palin trying to get her brother-in-law fired. That one tells us more what kind of official she is. The unwed teen mother story? Well, I already knew Palin was an indifferent mother -- she is, after all, abandoning a special needs infant for the campaign trail -- so that doesn't tell me anything new. But the brother-in-law thing, that deserves a bit more scrutiny. I used to defend cases like this at the state level, so I will be watching this one unfold with interest.
4 comments:
"abandoning a special-needs infant for the campaign trail" - OUCH! But absolutely true.
The brother in law was a dirty cop who beat her sister, and she'd been trying to have him fired long before he threatened to put a bullet in her father's head if he paid for his daughter's divorce attorney. Palin was mayor at the time and battling the good old boy's on the police force... the fact that her brother in law was a psychotic ass was secondary to his poor performance as a cop (he'd been drunk on the job, started bar fights, etc.) If she were a Dem, she'd be lauded for her work in getting rid of a piece of shit... he just happened to be married into her family.
I'm no fan or supporter of Palin, but I do have concerns about all the talk of her "abandoning her young children for the campaign". Obama has young children, and no one is asking if he's being a neglectful father.
Palin's husband works, yes, but part time. Michelle Obama works full time.
Where is the concern over the abandonment of the Obama kids?
That's disingenuous. Obama has been repeatedly questioned about how he will handle his children's needs.
Post a Comment