Friday, September 5, 2008

Status Report: Olive Baby Ull Socks



















Sometimes I forget how much I love the Dale Baby Ull. Then I pick it up again to knit with it, and fall in love all over again. It's springy, round, soft, and durable. The colors are marvelous and stitch definition is fantastic. I swear, I could knit a whole wardrobe out of this stuff. Including underpants.

I don't think we'll need to talk about politics any more. I watched both conventions, did my due diligence on the candidates, and made my decision. I will watch the debates, but barring any huge revelations of importance in the next two months, I won't be changing my mind.

The new Knitter's magazine arrived at Nana's today while I was there for the Catherine Parr/ knit-your-own KAL. (That's the KAL that started off as a Catherine Parr KAL, but quickly expanded when some folks wanted to knit other Starmores, other sweaters, other items.) I thought this was the best issue we've seen in a long time. Too long. There were several decent, knittable patterns. Yes, there was still the insane moment when they started doing something for no better reason than someone figured out that it was possible -- the "party trick" knitting that is all flash and no substance -- "OMG, you guys, look what happens when you knit upside down and backwards!"

This month's party trick was knitting intarsia using two balls of the same yarn. Ooooookay. There was also a cowl/yoked/tank/heftybag thing that could be worn right side up or upside down, a most excellent choice for drunk chicks trying to scramble away from their one night stands. Dude, who cares if it's inside out. Just get dressed and get a cab. Fast.

But I'm glad to say that for those of us interested in actual knitting, there were several good patterns in this issue. Dare we hope that this represents a rebirth of Knitters? The cover sweater is good. At least two other sweaters had me thinking about which yarn I might use. All in all, a marked improvement, and one which I am glad to see.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, I like those socks, the pattern on the top looks nice and stretchie...

BTW...did you find your needles...I do that! put something in a safe place AND it's so safe I can't find it!!! And because it's not a usual safe place I forget where it dashed IS!

Cheers Carol

Carol said...

Re: your take on US politics...
one wonders what would happen if JMcain fell off the twig!

One of my chief priorities on politics is that politics and religion should not mix!
Given that the USA is a very religious society, I would find it hard to pick the side least influenced by their own beliefs!

Luckily I don't have to Vote! (which BTW is compulsory in AUS. and I totally agree with)

Cheers again Carol.

A :-) said...

THOSE are the socks :-D Wish mine had turned out so nicely - I'll know next time - so great to see you yesterday :-)