Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Call to Action

A friend of mine volunteers with the Bosnian refugee community in Massachusetts. These refugee women have survived a kind of hell that most of us have only seen in tv newsreels. They support themselves by weaving rugs and knitting socks and selling them through a cooperative effort. It's pretty cool stuff, grassroots activism, people helping people in the most fundamental kind of way.

My friend tells me they're running low on yarn and on cash, and they have several orders to fill. They're coming up with a short term solution for their most pressing needs, but I promised her to tap my knitters for donations.

Please go through your stashes and cull for any leftovers or other lots of yarn you won't use. The only catch is that they need wool or wool-cotton blends. I'm going to send her my sockotta and all the leftover bits of sock yarn, and probably all the yarn leftover from Lady Eleanor, and anything else I can find for them.

If you bring whatever you can donate to SnB or to Open Knitting on Thursday, I will arrange to get it to Kate so she can distribute it to the refugee women.

Thanks in advance -- I know my knittas will come through on this one.

3 comments:

Laurelena said...

Wow! What a great organization!
Hey ladies, those of you who donated to my school were so generous. We probably won't need/use all of it. I'll pull out most of the wool and bring it to SnB for Knitterary's worthy cause, as well as some of my own stash :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, my organization is Refugee Women's Network, (www.riwn.org) and I would like to know what your friend's organization is. Perhaps we could work together.

Thanks
BryAnn Chen
director@riwn.org

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Thanks for highlighting a worthy cause. I can not fathom what life as a refugee must be like.