Sunday, March 22, 2009

More Durable, My Ass




















I knit this big poncho out of Lion Brand Cheap 'N Chunky (or whatever it's called -- the rope-like version of wool-ease) around four, maybe five years ago. It was one of those soopah bargains in the clearance bin at JoAnn's, so I thought, what the heck. Might as well give it a go on the needles. See whether the reputation for durability and quality is deserved.

Answer: no.

I'm not a big fan of ponchos in general, but this one came in handy at the old house for lounging in the cold basement. And since we moved almost three years ago, it has lived in the back den, also a very cold room, where I cozy up under it while watching tv. Regardless, at the end of the cold weather season, I would wash it (cool water, gentle) and spin dry it. For a yarn that is nearly all acrylic and rumored to be durable, this should be no problem at all.

That means this is its fourth washing. Maybe it's fifth.

And look at it. The heathering fibers are separating from the yarn. You see that fine gray haze over the whole fabric? You see the gray pills forming? Grr....

But that's not the worst of it. It shed all over the few other items I washed with it. Look at my cotton turtleneck.





















Very frustrating.

3 comments:

Kris said...

Are you sure it wasn't Crap 'n Chunky?

Carol said...

Oh My !! that is nearly as bad as a tissue in the wash...and probably harder to brush off!
Definatly a wash on its own item!
Nice colour though!
Cheers Carol

Claudia Bugh said...

Bummer. On the bright side - you have been able to wear it a number of seasons..... I once knit a tunic on US 4 needles and wore it once - before a MOTH ate a GIGANTIC hole in the middle. I immediately threw it away as it was too painful to look at - I had worked on it off and over over 3 years. Thanks for bringing back this happy memory - LOL