Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tipping It Off!

The NCAA tournament starts in 21 minutes from now, and I can't wait! Every year, I am glued to the television while the tournament is unfolding. Love it.

And every year, as I watch, there is yelling and knitting in equal measures.

Some years I've started a new project on the morning of the first game, sort of like my own personal Olympic knitting project, except that it's college hoops. This year, I've decided to concentrate on meeting my March goals and finishing some existing projects.

That doesn't mean I won't start something new.

Any excuse to start something new, right?

I've got three pairs of socks OTN, and two of those pairs are on the second sock. I imagine I could finish both pairs in the next week, maybe even in the next couple days. That would leave only one sock OTN, and lawdamercy, we can't have that.

So I'm winding sock yarn this morning. Gobs and gobs of it. I brought boxes of it with me to the office. (I'm stuck at the family business until early afternoon.) (And yes, I brought a tv with me, too, so I could watch the games here.) (And no, I have no intention of actually working today. It's tournament day! Sheesh.) I brought my swift and winder. I'm alone here and enjoying every moment, winding yarn and anticipating tipoff.

I've about resolved on knitting some of the Alpaca Sox yarn next. I'm very curious about this yarn. It seems counterintuitive to have alpaca socks. It's not the most generous of fibers, and it lacks wool's elacticity. But the yarn feels like heaven, and it's got some wool blended in, so maybe it will outperform my admittedly low expectations. We'll see. I've wound off a hank that's all shades of smokey gray -- it looks like the ashes in a campfire pit, which is actually much prettier than it might sound.

Have any of you knit socks with this?

No comments: