Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Happy Saturday

























Now that's a great chair. Who can mind about the mess when the mess is made from knitting? I could spend the entire weekend happy in that chair. And I aim to try to do just that.

























The sharp-eyed brioche beret knitters among you will see the problem in this picture right away. Heck, doesn't even require sharp eyes to spot this one. It's a major ugly. Screw the prancing pony -- you could almost spot this one from outer space.






















Ah, well. The great thing about knitting is that you can always call a do-over. Or, as in this case, a do-over-and-over. This is the second time I had to rip it out. But I'm starting to grasp the logic (Ha!! logic, that's a good one) behind this stitch, so maybe the third time will be a charm on the old windmill beret.






















Thumbs up on the cashmere mittens. BIG thumbs up. Dude, look at the size of those thumbs. I will win every thumb war I declare in these mittens. With a passel of rambunctious nephews in and out of my house, that is no trivial thing. Bring 'em on.

FO Report: Cashmere Stranded Mittens

Too awesome for mere words to describe. When I am queen of the universe, everyone north of the Mason-Dixon line will get a pair of these mittens in any colors they choose. And then there will be no more wars, except for of the thumb variety, because everyone will be so happy in their cashmere mittens that the fight will go flat out of them, and also it would be really really hard to pull triggers wearing thick, warm mittens like this. Plus which you might get gun oil on the fabric, and nobody would want that.

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere, appx 75 g each color (slightly more of the purple)
Pattern: Mittens from Halland from Folk Mittens
Mods: I changed the placement of the thumb on the left mitten, and it worked out just fine. By my reading, if I hadn't made that modification, I would have ended up with two right hand mittens. If I had to do it over again, I might also move the thumbholes about two rows closer to the wrists. Other than that, no modifications. It was an easy pattern.

I can't tell you how long it took to knit these. A while, several months, except that I didn't knit diligently at all. There was a crib blanket and a vest and some socks mixed in, and these mittens were something I picked up for a change of pace now and again. Working with this yarn felt like a reward -- I am absolutely in love with this yarn. Yes, the Debbie Bliss cashmeres took some PR hits a while back, but I don't care. It's spectacular to knit with.

And now there are eight....

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh the mittens are truly gorgeous! If they feel half as nice as they look, I'd be really looking forward to winter!

I can see why you can spend the whole weekend knitting in that chair - heck, it would be a good chair to be in for the weekend no matter what you were doing ...

Kris said...

oh, perfect chair and perfect mittens! Congrats!! and happy knitting.