Thursday, June 26, 2008

Number Ten




















This is what peer pressure looks like. Yes, that's right, peer pressure is half purple and half variegated and is knit on dpns. Who knew.

I've had nine things on the needles for a couple weeks now, ever since I cast on the Veronik Avery halter vest. And I have this rule: my current projects must number fewer than ten. Single digits. This is a lesson learned the hard way -- I get a little nutty when I have too many projects going at once, and I have to knit almost continuously until the mass of knitting bags hanging from doorknobs is no longer threatening to pull the door out of the jamb. It's just this thing I have. Single digits.

And then came Harlot Day.

How do these things happen? One minute, my knit posse is kickin it at the back table of Nana's Knitting Shop, doing our usual thing, plus watching the stream of knitters come through for the Harlot's appearance. And the next minute, someone started fondling some brioche tams, and we were all out of our chairs and diving for the Noro. We've never done a knitalong as a group. And this brioche tam is a hard pattern, a really hard pattern, so as soon as someone suggested doing it as a group, a new zeitgeist was born.

We all bought the yarn and someone downloaded a few copies of the pattern. (It's a freebie online, so nobody needs to holler about copyright, thank you.) Some folks cast on right away, though the official start date was set for last night's Stitch and Bitch gathering. I held off because I wanted to get something off the needles -- hello, single digits? -- but Wednesday night arrived before I could finish anything.

So now there are ten.

And that's one too many for peace of mind. Of course, there can be no peace of mind when one is trying to knit a brioche tam because this is a counter-intuitive and wildly confusing pattern. That little sliver of knitting in the picture? Less than three inches in diameter? Took THREE HOURS and an unknowably high number of bad words. That's some hard knitting.

But I knit two more rounds today, and it's starting to make sense, and I have some other knitting that should be coming off the needles this weekend. So who knows. Maybe this time, peer pressure will turn out to be a good thing.

2 comments:

camillaknits said...

I told my yarn rep today about your tale of cashmere woe... I'm ashamed to admit some giggling may have occured as I described (with much sorrow) how they continued to shrink and had to be surgically removed from your feet. Won't they make loverly coasters/flowers/covered buttons in their next life, though!
Also, the yarn on pictured on the blerg is "Sheep Shop Yarn Co.", in a terribly unromantic colorway called "E123". Tragic, I know. I'm going to turn it into a neck warmer or possibly mittens.
Btw, congratulations on getting into the double digits. There *is* no going back now. C

Kris said...

Well, knowing how you have issues with your home... it might be a good thing to have the door pulled from the jamb?

I think your color choice is just spectacular. Really excited to see how the color repeats show up.