Friday, June 27, 2008

A Sheepish Fairy Tale

















Once Upon A Time,
There was a knitter with a slight case of controlitis. You know what I mean. She's the kind of woman with a database for her patterns. The kind of woman who knows to a penny how much she spent on yarn this year. The kind of woman with rules -- no, let's not call them rules. Let's call them parameters which define her comfort zone.

And this woman's comfort zone turns to shit when she has projects on the needles numbering in the double digits.

So, when our intrepid knitter realized she had ten projects otn (plus the crapghan, which we never, ever discuss in polite circles), there was only one possible solution. Cancel all weekend plans. Go to the grocery store and lay in a three-day supply of nomz, then stop at the video store for a stack of dvds. Then drag all nearly completed knitting projects to the awesomely comfy knitting chair by the big tv, and GET THAT NUMBER INTO SINGLE DIGITS!!!

Ahem. Pardon me. I get a little twitchy when I'm outside my comfort zone.

And then there were Nine....

FO Report:
Sandesgarne Sisu Socks
Cast on April 7 or thereabouts.
Knit plain while reading manuscripts.
56 stitches around on size 1.5 US needles.

Not much to say. The yarn is sort of lofty and I'm concerned about how it will wear. It just has that sneaky look like it will felt if I take my eyes off it for two seconds. But we'll see.


Closing in on Eight....

I took this picture when the pieces were only half-pinned, so they look a bit wobbly here. And it was a little tricky to pin out the front piece with the bust darts, because the darts make the fabric 3-dimensional. But I did the best I could, and what the heck. I can always reblock it in sections if necessary.

But all that's left of this one is side seams, neckband and upper bodice trim. And weaving. And figuring out what to do about the curl in the fabric. My current preference is those tiny little lead balls they use on fishing lines.

Also, progress is being made on other projects. Stay tuned. This will be a weekend marathon of finishing stuff so I don't go all wacky.

3 comments:

camillaknits said...

'Eight little Indian boys travelling in Devon; one said he'd stay there and then there were seven'...
I just re-read 'And Then There Were None' last week, so I *have* to ask, is the next thing coming off needles a 'travelling project'?
The blue socks are fab. Just remind the wearer not to go stockingfooted on carpet. It's such a terrible abuse of perfectly good knitted socks.

Kris said...

Love the sock! it reminds me of water waves with sunbeams shinning off the ripples!

Bridget said...

The socks are a pretty color, I hope they behave for you!

I am really liking the halter vest, the color combo really appeals to me.