Friday, June 6, 2008

Yep. I'm a Liar. Again.

























I know, I know. I was going to spend the summer working on sleeves and mittens. But then things happened. Bad things. Things I can't discuss on the blog because I don't want to get into a family controversy. Suffice it to say that the crib blanket was not exactly received with enthusiasm.

Sometimes, when bad things happen, you just gotta move on.

My yarn therapist, Tricia of Nana's Knits, heard what happened and ravelmailed me immediately to prescribe the immediate application of a new knitting project. Something completely new, with new yarn and a new pattern and new everything. Clean out the bad old mojo, and bring in the new.

The more I thought about it, the smarter that sounded. Of course, it could just have been an excellent way to rationalize a new yarn purchase. Not that I need any help dreaming up excuses. But I really wasn't planning on new yarn or new projects. I was planning on finishing stuff already OTN. I wrote down my goals and everything!

Of course, when she sweetened the deal with a discount, any resistance melted right along with my budgetary conscience. I spent a couple of days dreaming of possibilities -- and wow, what a great way to get over a disappointment like the one I had over the weekend. So what if they didn't care about all my hard work? I could make something new. And better. And just for me.

Something simple and quick, something I could whip out in no time and thereby regain that feeling of pride, of accomplishment.

Something by Veronik Avery, who probably has good manners. (Humor me. I want to believe it. Therefore it must be true.)

And then when my personal Color Committee showed up for open knitting Thursday, they helped me pick out some wonderful colors -- thanks to Beth and Red for their help, and sorry if I was dithering too long.

Thirteen soft, delicate new balls of Bollecine Dolly in charcoal heather, ice green, and turquoise. Could you just drool over those colors? The Committee did a great job on their selections. I'm in love with this yarn. I cast on right then and there.

Trish nobly refrained from having a heart attack when I skipped the gauge swatch. Hey, doll, you'll be glad to know I'm spot on with stitch gauge and a little tight on row gauge. See? There is a God, and He likes me best.

Now, back to my knitting. This one is going to be knit in record time. For mental health purposes only.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knitting for mental health is definitely a priority. Knitting should be fun - meeting goals and finishing things is only important if they're fun, too.

I'm sorry your rels didn't appreciate your efforts with the crib blanket. Maybe you could offer to take it back, buy something else for them, and keep the blanket as 'Granny's lap rug' for the kids who spend time with you. They're old enough to appreciate sharing the tradition - and yours and Grandmother's love and efforts.

Sending ((((((hugs))))) anyway, just 'cos.

Kris said...

Dither all you want. It was a great idea to start a new project...just like Trish to save the day;)

I can see you'll have that flying off the needles in no time! The knitting gods are on your side for this one.

Carol said...

Gosh...I'm sorry about poor reception for the crib blanket That quote about not being able to choose your relatives comes to mind!!
I think it was lovely and am especially glad you made it as I would not be 15 inches along on my one if you hadn't shown it to us!
After I've finished this one I'm going to do a bigger techicolour one in ascending colours ...L.pink darker pink etc L. green, blue, yellow etc I think it will be really colourful.
So from enjoy your lovely new project, you deserve it for all that work you put in on the rug! (not your genre! but well done anyway!)
Cheers Carol

Carol said...

ps...please delete From in the last paragraph! *typo*
Cheers Carol

Bridget said...

Well, what you have so far is beautiful!

I cannot believe they weren't happy to receive the crib blanket. Eejits.

At least *you* were the thoughtful one in the situation. I just hope you don't have to spend much time with them, it would be hard (for me at least) to keep myself on the high road ...

(I wouldn't crochet/knit them anything, though. Ever again.)

camillaknits said...

Once upon a time (two years ago), I made a baby quilt for a friend's new granddaughter. It was all polka-dot fabrics, log-cabin pieced around blocks of a beautiful paper doll print fabric... I even found a matching flannel for one of the dotted fabrics to use as the backing. I then mailed it to a machine quilter in Wisc. to be "professionally" finished, and was appalled, nay, in tears, when the 'thank you' note arrived that her daughter-in-law liked it, but thought it should stay at Gran's house for use when the baby was there. Have you *ever* left something you liked at your mother-in-law's house? Exactly. I've been paralyzed about baby quilts ever since, so the damn double cr*ch*t thing-a-ma-jig you tortured yourself over brings pangs to my heart for you. If possible, you should secret it away and have a ceremonial burning. But use gas. Wool doesn't like to stay lit. Cami

Anonymous said...

God does like you best, obviously! Hooray for new yarn, hooray for eliminating all bad juju and hooray for gauge just happening. Clearly, it was the project Destiny chose for you.

Katie said...

I can't believe anyone wouldn't love that beautiful blanket. Not only was gorgeous, the sentiment behind it was so perfect. I'm glad you found a new project, though.

Rachael Herron said...

Veronik is indeed a wonderful, charming, kind woman. You chose the pattern well. Bodes good mojo for YOU. :)