Saturday, August 9, 2008

San Francisco Treats

Tell you what. I fell off the destashing wagon big time. But when you see my new pretties, you'll understand why.





This lovely is a silk and mohair blend from ArtFibres in downtown San Francisco. Isn't that combination of sheen and cloud just stunning? I have about 1100 yards on two cones. My first thought was to make a shawl of sorts -- something drapey and flowy to show off this yarn. But I never wear shawls, so I think the answer is to make a vest. There's plenty here for a vest. It will be a very expensive vest -- this stuff was not cheap, not by a long shot -- but everyone needs a splurge once in a while. (This would not be the time to remind me of other splurges. La-la, la-la, I can't hear you!)




This is gen-yoo-wine Australian organic wool all the way from Australia, a gift from my friend Bron. I love this yarn. The colors are so rich and deep, and OMG you won't believe how soft it is. If a puffy cloud fell in love with purified olive oil, and they had a baby, that baby's belly would be scratchy compared to this yarn. That's how soft it is. (Must find local source immediately!)






And finally, some linen from a place called Imagiknits. Very cool shop. Just my luck, they were having a sale. I resisted lots of temptation in that shop, which made me feel very virtuous and noble. But I kept chanting under my breath, "Stitches is coming, Stitches is coming," and that made it easier. This linen is destined to be a shopping bag.

So that's the haul. Not bad. I spent more than I'd hoped, and less than I expected. That ArtFibres places is really special, though, and someday when I win the lottery, I'm going to go back there and clean them out. Those were some of the most beautiful and unique yarns I've ever seen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you really got great yarn! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Kris said...

yummy silk... so jealous right now.

Unknown said...

E got me that same yarn when he went to San Francisco! It's awesome. Have fun.

A :-) said...

The Euroflax is rough to begin with, but it gets very soft once you wash it - Looks like you had a great time in SF :-)