This year, it is my even greater pleasure to show you this:
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting "Australia's Thrilling New Voice!"
::drumroll::
Bronwyn Parry!
::cymbal crash::
She has had a fairy tale year. First the win, then the sale, then her publisher pimps her book in Frankfort (a very big deal book fair, doncha know) and sells translations rights all over Europe. They're giving her a big PR splash to celebrate the Australian release, and honestly, this could not have happened to a more deserving author. Bronwyn is everything we hope for in a writer -- smart, funny, charming, hard-working, and very, very talented. I'm really proud of her. I can't wait to celebrate the American release of this book. :)
A funny thing happened this year at the conference. I was in the hotel lobby, chatting with a group of Australian friends, including a beautiful young lady named Joann who helped us toast Bron's win last year in Dallas. So I was pleased to see her again this year and remembered her right away. Here's how this conversation went:
Her: My mum reads your blog.
Me (thinking she meant the appreciably more popular editing blog): Oh, that's great! Thanks!
Her: She's Carol.
Me (slowly figuring it out): You mean my knitting blog?
Her: Yes, my mum reads your knitting blog.
Me: OH MY GOD, YOUR MOTHER IS CAROL FROM THE COMMENTS!?!?!?!?!
I'm still tripping on that. Can the world get any smaller? Carol, may I just say that your daughter is fantastic. I was so impressed with her last year, and it was a real pleasure to see her again this year. We had a nice chat about your grass plants, and I'm still a bit dazed at the way the world connects.
Next time, I'll show you the yarn I bought in San Francisco and the fabulous Australian organic yarn Bron brought for me in her suitcase. Oh, yes. There will be yarn.
1 comment:
Hi, just stopped over to see if you were back! How fantastic...I'm on your blog...front page, Thank you,
and yes my darling daughter is lovely! (*proud mum*)
and I am so looking forward to Bronwyn's book, it sounds wonderful and many others must think so too to be sold Internationally as well as in the US.
I found your wonderful,amusing blog when off on a tangent from Bronwyns, and another day I recognised a photo of grass trees and others on a site which belonged to her husband!!!
It is amazing how with all the millions of bloggers I should find a grass tree picture...gorgous BTW..on his site, lookANDsee (g)
I hope that in 2009 we will meet for a coffee at the RWau on the Gold Coast!
Heaps of cheers Carol
Post a Comment