Friday, February 13, 2009

Shhh.... Secret!
























It feels like spring this week, and we all seem to be suffering from spring startitis. I'm not immune to the seasons!

Super Krissie has been knitting something fabulous lately that requires one skein of crack and one of Ritratto by S. Charles Collezione. The Ritratto has that pretty metallic shine, and crack, as we all know, makes everything look soft and warm and happy.

Put the two together, and you get an almost magical fabric. Hazy clouds of mohair and glints of bright metal. Almost sinfully soft, but sparkly. This is one where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

This is intended as a gift for a dear friend who knows about this blog but probably doesn't read it. I feel safe showing this little bit above, but I probably won't blog much about it on the off chance she might come over here to see what's happening. We don't get to see each other often, but when we do, she always asks to see my knitting. Hers is an honest interest, the same kind that leads me to ask after her cats even though I'm allergic to them. It's not about self. It's about other. She doesn't care about knitting, but she cares about me.

She doesn't have a birthday or any other event coming up, but after decades of friendship, I don't feel I really need a reason to give her something that makes me think of her.

Yeah, I'm a bit leery of gift knitting again after the Infamous Incident Regarding The Crib Afghan. But if anybody can help me recover, it's a friend like her.

4 comments:

Kris said...

awww, that is super sweet of you...and a little brave. Not on the friendship side that is...heck, she'll love it! I mean your mohair brave.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

From one user to another. Nice.

Carol said...

Your dear friend is going to adore her gift!
Perhaps you could post a photo after she has recieved it and it wont spoil the surprise and we will still see the finished artical!
Out of every disapointment there is always an upside...I have nearly finished my Knitterary/Gran's lovely rug...and it will be perfect Thank you fpr the pattern.
Cheers Carol

A :-) said...

Ooo Shiny! That shiny stuff is seductive - clearly I've passed the startitis back to you (thank heaven). Whatever that's going to be, it's going to be prety :-)