Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Eleven!















Eleven socks.
Four pairs plus three single socks.
Sixty-one days.
Three socks currently OTN.
If I finish one more sock in the next month, I will have made my SOS07 goal.

This is the infamous jaywalker which I've been pouting over for the last few weeks. I love the way the pattern looks on the leg. I mean, really really love it. Every mating of yarn and pattern should be this perfect, this synergetic.

And as much as I love that, I hate everything else about this sock. I hate the weird way the ribbing puckers where it joins the leg. I hate the rough texture of this yarn. I hate the way the sock fits -- tight in some places and baggy in others. Getting the sock on my foot was a challenge. Once it was on, my skin started burning from the horrid rough wool, and I couldn't get it off fast enough.

So. My plan at this point is to wash this sock and see if the wool improves. If it does, I'll knit the second sock to match, weird fit and all. If the yarn continues to resemble steel wool, then this will be my first official failed sock. I even wear the first pair I ever made -- they're different sizes and full of holes, but they're comfy and I like them. And that ought to tell you how low I set the bar for my socks, and how truly uncomfortable this jaywalker is.

Fulmar

I've been trapped at my desk the last two days, dealing with a seemingly unending series of crises. At least that provided the means to set up the group loop for the Fulmar KAL. Invitations went out this afternoon. If you expected an invitation and didn't get one, please let me know. The mailer daemon bounced back a couple, and one of them might be yours.

I was surprised -- thrilled, really -- at the positive response to the Fulmar KAL. I hoped to get maybe a half dozen knitters involved. This is a challenging knit, after all, and not everyone would want to tackle it. From the small pool of knitters interested in knitting Fulmar, you know some won't have the time or will have other reasons for not joining in. All of which makes perfect sense, and that's why I was hoping for a half-dozen knitters.

I sent out 23 invitations today. :) And the list is still growing. I just can't tell you how thrilling that is to me!

Plus ... it's not socks. I'm really starting to lose my sock momentum here. So the thought of Fulmar is a shot of energy right when I need it most, at the end of a sock KAL that's starting to sputter.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tina said...

Wow - that stinks that they're so miserable! Maybe you could use the leg part for something else...frame it? ;)

good luck on the Fulmar! It looks great. A tad too much for me this year, but I shall look on with joy.

heather t said...

Wow, that is a beautiful combo of pattern and yarn, too bad the yarn is itchy. Let us know what it is, and if it softens up after washing. Because that is the one yarn that could make me want to try Jaywalker - it seems to get mixed reactions.