The Second Wave Clapotis KAL doesn't officially start for another three weeks, but I couldn't resist casting on the hat to match. Was that very naughty of me? I haven't cast on the actual clapotis yet. Just the hat.
Once cast on, it knitted up very quickly. Two days. That's nothing! The hardest part was working the decreases at the crown in a way that made the pattern look semi-good. I had to rip it back once, but on the second try ended up with this swirly pattern. I think it will do.
Here's the side view. I chose a 2x2 rib because it mimics the look of the clapotis, but doesn't have all those pesky holes. Holes in a hat + Chicago winter = unhappy me with a cold noggin!
The deep foldover brim will give me a double layer of warmth around the forehead and ears. Again, Chicago winter. "Dressing in layers for warmth" gets elevated to a whole other level around here. I fully expect to wrap the clapotis around the hat/neck for yet another layer on particularly bitter days.
So, that feels pretty darn good. Yesterday I was thumping my own forehead for having nine works-in-progress -- Nine! A new record! And not the kind that deserves a trophy, either. I don't mind having two or three going at a time. Four, even, when I have deadlines or mild yarn-fume-induced insanity or other extenuating circumstances. But nine? Heck, no.
Today, that number shrunk to eight. I'm thinking I can finish two more projects before the start of the clapotis-along. Maybe three. We'll see! I just want to clear the decks a little before starting in on the grandmother of them all ... Fulmar.
If you're interested, here are the hat specs.
Yarn: Jaeger Baby Merino DK, 1 50g skein plus about 15g of a second skein.
Pattern: None. I just cast on 112 stitches on size 6s and knit in 2x2 rib until it was good and long -- 9 inches or thereabouts -- and then I decreased until it was done. First I decreased the purls in the 2x2, then the knits, then worked knits and purls together in more decreases to form that swirly crown.
Started August 28.
Finished August 30. (I love that. Two days! And have I mentioned it only took two days to knit this silly bit?)
6 comments:
Cheers, i like the colours, it look great...just a question When you do the socks, do you always knit the pair or do you Finally come back after a while and knot the second sock? My mum always knitted the two sleeves of a jumper/sweater together! Too bad you can't do that with socks!
I happened apon your blog via a romance writer blog via another blog via another blog!! It's a very interesting blog and even though I don't knit anymore...too hot where I live...Queensland Australia, I enjoy your Blogsite Cheers Carol
Ps. Sorry about the spelling errors' I'm new at this!
Cheers Carol
Holy Crap!! Two days! It looks awesome and with the clapotis to match...great set.
Yes you're very naughty! ;) The hat looks fabulous though.
I love it! I think combined with the Clapotis, it will be both warm and stylish (a rare joining of two outerwear terms ...).
I also think that hat makes the yarn look even softer than it did in the ball.
9 projects. I thought I was bad with 6. I love the color. Can't wait to see the Clapotis. I don't think I have ever seen one live and in person.
Post a Comment