Saturday, August 25, 2007

Something Old, Something Blue




















Here's the Jojoland Merino-Cashmere sock in progress. This yarn was purchased at Stitches Midwest for the insane bargain price of $6 a ball. At that price, I figured I should buy enough in every colorway to make a pair of socks (or anklets, in the case of the lone ball of pink-red-fuschia). And if the colorway doesn't satisfy, I can always dye them black.

I'm kind of wishing I'd bought enough to make a sweater. A nice, close-to-the-skin, cloudsoft turtleneck. I don't know how this stuff will hold up as socks, but I can tell you it feels like a dream when you're knitting it.

This is my carry-around sock right now. I'm not doing a whole lot of sock knitting right now this week because I am sick of socks. I am so sick of socks after knitting nothing but socks for two months that I literally can't stand to work the double points anymore. Even at stitch and bitch Wednesday, with my much-beloved STR -- a yarn which has the power to instantly drain my wallet and max out my credit cards -- I kept setting the needles down and just looking around.

I never put my needles down at SnB. Things have reached a pretty pass if I'm not knitting at knitting group!

So I started something new to try to counteract the sock doldrums. It started off innocently enough. I'll just make a gauge swatch, sez I, so I'm ready to hit the ground running when the Persuasion KAL starts.

Of course, once you get gauge, who can resist the urge to cast on?















This is the beginning of Butterfly, a Katie Himmelberg pattern out of the Spring 2007 Knitscene. I belong to the Jane Austen readers group on Ravelry, and we've decided to read Persuasion together and knit something a lady or an officer might wear. My first thought was to knit a red horseshoe lace duster with a sailor collar -- red coat, get it? I've had the yarn stashed for a year now and haven't even swatched it yet.

But then I realized...Fulmar. I've already got one very large knitting project on the calendar for this fall. Everything else should be simple, a pressure valve when I need mindless knitting and a break from the complexity of that very complex Starmore pattern.

So, Butterfly it is.

Butterfly is a simple short-sleeved shirt with an empire waist, a V-neck with a small 3-button placket, and sleeves that look like cap sleeves but are actually just the drops from the wide shoulders. It's a clean, simple, easy piece with Regency-inspired shaping. I think Jane would like it very much indeed.

This pattern has made me do math -- ick! ptooey! -- including calculating square inches and redrawing pattern lines to accommodate the yarn I have. The pattern calls for an amount of yarn which is clearly hypothetical. grumble, grumble....

Details on my adventures with the calculater will follow.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kris said...

The socks are knitting up very nice...the strips are producing an interesting blocky shape.

You've made some great progress with the Butterfly...that yarn has a fabulous touch and it will make a great garment.