Here's the latest progress on Butterfly. I'm knitting both bodice panels at once. That's why there are two balls and a big split in the middle of my knitting. It's actually two pieces. Don't they even look a little like wings? No? Must be my overactive imagination taking hold again.
The cast on edge of these pieces will be the seam across the midriff. The cast off edges, when I get to them, will be the seam across the back, running right about parallel to the bottom of the bra back. The split in the middle is where my head will go. It's an interesting construction technique. I can't wait to see how it works out in the end.
There is a third piece, a big body tube knit in the round that joins to these two bodice pieces. I've knit two balls of that but didn't take a picture. It's not much to look at. Just imagine something that looks much like the picture above, except circular and on cable needles. Anyway, that means I've knit four out of nine balls and am working on balls five and six.
I'm still a bit concerned that I will run out of yarn. This is a fairly rare yarn, too, so it could end up being a problem. I'm going to play ostrich for now and hope my half-assed math will hold true enough to get me through to the end.
The yarn is Wick from Knit One Crochet Too. It's got a lovely, slick, cool feel, and it's very stretchy. It's so stretchy, in fact, that I have to watch how I hold the yarn while knitting. If I pull it in my patented death grip, it can really distort the stitches and mess with my gauge.
This is the one I'm knitting with the Jane Austen fans over on ravelry. We're reading/discussing Persuasion while knitting. I've read ahead of our scheduled chapters because -- well, how can you not? Especially knowing about that beautiful payoff when Anne and Wentworth finally get together. This book always makes me a little sniffly, especially that incredible love letter at the end. All I need is the first line, "I can listen no longer in silence," and my heart begins to leak out of my eyes. Great stuff. We should all get a love letter like that now and again. ...sigh...
I love this book, and I'm happy to say that it's restoring my reading mojo in some small way. That recent string of meh books was a bit of a downer. But I've got Persuasion and the Iain Pears book on my bedside table, and they're both satisfying in that meaty, emotional way a well-written book can be sometimes.
In fact, I think I might have to go read myself to sleep now. Tuck me in with some Captain Wentworth, baby!
PS. to Dreamsweaver. You think that's strange? You should read my slush pile! Seriously, though, Gabriel Garcia Marquez won the Nobel Prize for lit-rah-chure. He doesn't suck.

2 comments:
"I believe in the turn of a phrase, when done with the heart." I'm not sure you would fine what I read as normal either.
I don't feel so bad now... I was thinking that I was the only knitter working on something else while I waited for "Fulmar" to begin. Worst though... I haven't even done my swatches yet. I'm not familiar with Butterfly... only Jade's Butterfly fair isle vest. Is there a picture of it somewhere?
Post a Comment