Monday, April 7, 2008

Behold The Power of My Will



























Remember when I said I wasn't going to cast on any more socks this month? Yeah. I remember that, too. Except, when I made that statement, I forgot two tiny details. First, I always want a plain sock on my desk to pick at while I'm reading submissions. And second, when it comes to statements expressing an intent to avoid knitting, I am a liar. I may say I won't knit this or that, or I won't buy yarn, or I won't cast on new things. But saying it ain't doing it. We ought to all know that by now. Me especially. Except somehow I don't understand this about myself, which makes me question just how smart I really am.

So I cast on the Sockotta sock above, thinking it would make an awesome desk sock. Except I hadn't knit to the first color change before I realized the truth about this yarn. It's about half cotton, meaning it's stable, not too stretchy, and it's knitting into a fine and dense fabric on size 0 needles. This means, for comfort's sake, I ought to make the sock ribbed all the way down to give it some stretch. Not plain. So this cannot be my desk sock. (And it will probably take nine years to knit it, given the whole size 0 thing.) (You'd think I would have learned a lesson from the penelope socks, which secretly unknit themselves at night. Curse of the size 0s and all. Again, me = not so smart about some things.)

Can we all see where this is going yet?



























Yep, those would be my new desk socks. The yarn is Sisu, and I love the way it feels. I can't wait to wear them. All I want to do is knit! And knit and knit! That's how lovely this yarn is.

And just like that, I have three pairs of socks OTN again.

4 comments:

Macoco said...

It's like you turn your head for one second and suddenly BAM you've got more than one sock on the needles. They sneak up on you like that every time. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
WOW, that striped sock is going to be fantastic...who would have thought it would turn out so cool!when we see the the ball and then the actual sock...thats great
Cheers Carol

Tricia said...

Ah, my conscience is as unconscionable as I am. I can't tell you how comforting that is.

Kris said...

Your super smart...so smart you out smarted yourself;)

I'm in the way of thinking that socks don't count... it's a gimmy with knitting.