Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How It Looks (Cringe)


I can't believe I'm posting pictures of my crappy mutant crochet for anyone to see. Told you I suck at this.
I finished the first two balls of Encore today and started the next two. Right now, the blanket is about 7" long and my wrist is beginning to protest. There's so much more twisting in crochet than in knitting. I may have to cool it tomorrow. My goal is to get past 8" by the end of the day Thursday, but I won't make that goal if my hand has to go in the splint. That's my big fear with this project. Return of tendonitis.
I have six balls of each color, and the first pair of balls yielded 6.5" of fabric. So that means the existing yarn will make a 39" blanket. I'd like it just a few inches longer than that, so I'll pick up an extra ball of the pink to do a border and edging.
According to the imprecise timing method I've been using, I'm averaging about 40 minutes per full row of color (one row of worms plus one row of shells). Each full row is right around a half inch. That means I'm looking at around 54 hours of crocheting time PLUS the border.
All of which just makes me appreciate my grandmother even more. When I think of all the blankets she made, OMG. Every one of us got a twin sized one to take to college and a full sized one as a wedding shower gift. Plus random surprise afghans when we'd happen to redecorate or something. Thousands of hours, miles and miles of yarn. Tell you what. Her wrists must have been a lot sturdier than mine!

3 comments:

camillaknits said...

It doesn't look half bad for cr*ch*t... really. And you've saved back the "it's the yarn's fault" excuse, so if things do go south, that's still in your hip pocket. Hook on, dear crafty one. You might survive this bit of craziness yet. (Somebody has to bury the thing in the backyard, right?) *wink* C

Carol said...

Hi, No need to cringe...umm you are a tight crocheter(spelling!) It's a bit late now... (in the project) but my advice would have been to use a slightly bigger size Crochet hook... same as tight Knitters do. My mum always had to use a larger size set of needles than I did as she was a tighter Knitter...Mind you she could knit twice as fast as I could! and didn't even have to LooK!!! But boy did we(brother and I) have some great jumpers...(Australian for sweaters).
Your doing great...relax enjoy!!
The baby will be snug as a bug under that rug!!
Cheers Carol

Rebecca F said...

I think it looks fantastic!