Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Mittens to Match



























When I bought the Malabrigo for the newsboy cap and scarf, I already had two precious treasures in my stash, one 25g skein each of worsted weight cashmere in royal and teal. My original plan for these was to make either striped or stranded wristers, but as soon as I bought the Malabrigo, I knew I needed mittens to match.

So I hunted through my mitten books and picked up a bit more of the cashmere, and now the mittens are underway. My corrugated ribbing looks like crap, but other than that, I am head over heels in love with this project. The yarn feels like a dream and knits beautifully. The colors and the pattern are perfect together. (Mittens from Halland, from the Marcia Lewandowski Folk Mittens book.) I keep making everyone touch my knitting to marvel at its buttery, almost silky texture, and I keep pulling the mitten cuffs on "just to try" and then I hate to take them off. Hate. I have a feeling I'm going to want to wear these every day next winter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, there's another reason for you to come to the RWAus conference in Melbourne in August. It will be cold, and you can wear your mittens, months before you'd need to wear them at home :-)

k_purls2 said...

I really like how this is starting. Very cool! Love the color too.