Tuesday, April 17, 2007
FO: Purple Magic Socks
And here is the man behind the curtain. See all those faintly blurry cables? They make this very roomy and comfy pair of socks draw in tightly when they're off my feet. FWIW, some of that blurriness is due to the fiber content of the yarn. There's a healthy dash of mohair in there, and the socks are a bit blurry in person. But you can sort of see the pattern. And two mystery pieces of lint that give it that certain je ne sais quoi.
Anyway.
The stats.
Yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot, color Grape, purchased at Nana's Knits in, er, Decemberish.
Pattern: 4-stitch baby cable from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks.
Results: This yarn knits like a dream. I used size 2 DPNs, 56 stitches per round, at a gauge of around 7 stitches to the inch in the stockinette portion. I think this yarn could stand to be knit at 8sts/inch, but anything tighter than that would start to get plywoody. This is my second pair of socks in this yarn, and the first were a bit too loose in gauge -- only about 6.5 stitches to the inch -- and they developed a halo of sorts from wear. I'm hoping a tighter gauge will diminsh that. I don't much care to pick clouds of fuzz off my socks!
I have a habit of starting a new pair of socks the same day I finish a pair, so tomorrow, I'll show you the new sock-in-progress. You will all be astounded and amazed to discover it has purple in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The Mountain Colors is such a yummy yarn...great socks!
Post a Comment