Here's the most recent picture of the sock. The cuff is 1.5" of 2x2 ribbing. The leg is 7", including the cuff. I find this a nice, cozy leg length for a normal sock, though I do sometimes make 4.5" or 5" legs for a shorter, crew type sock.
Because I know knitters like to see the seams and guts, here's the heel flap and the start of the gusset. This picture also lets you see the range in colors on this yarn. See those bits of forest green and darker blue mixed in? There's even a bit of burgundy. How gorgeous is that? Cherry Tree Hill makes me drool. fwiw, on both my camera and my computer monitor, this picture shows the colors best. ymmv.
Another view of the heel flap. For a denser, longer-wearing heel flap, I do a slip one - knit one on the right side, slip one - purl one on the wrong side. The back of the heel is nice and cushy this way, too. But yes, the color pattern does look a little different as a result. Fine by me!
Responses to comments:
Hi Becca! No, I don't get my yarn wet in the tub, not usually. I roll up the knitting and pin it to itself so it's not draping into the water. Also, I set my yarn behind my shoulder on that lovely deep ledge so it drapes over my shoulder from behind. This keeps it dry. For the most part! I do occasionally do something very clever indeed, like drop the whole thing into the bubbles. But that's okay. Yarn dries. :D
Hi Nia! I love it that we can keep in touch through blogging even though you abandoned us for the glamorous big city high life. (sob!) (kidding!) (But you know we do miss you!) No, I don't think I would ever try to publish that pattern because it's basically just a riff on a pattern from one of those page-a-day knitting calendars. That pattern called for worsted, and I altered it for DK, which meant adding another two columns of cables and redrawing Chart B (which will be mailed to you tomorrow or Tuesday). I don't think that's enough of a change to be able to claim that it's original work. But yes, someday, I think it would be great fun to design a pattern all of my own. Because, you know, it worked out so well for me when I tried to design those socks last fall. *cough*cough*
Hi Anne! Thanks for dropping by! Those kiddie playmats are cheap and incredibly durable. Waterproof, pinproof, and with a textured grid pattern pre-carved into the surface. What more could a knitter want for twenty bucks?
Now, if you'll all excuse me, I have to go decide which knitting to pack. Brace yourselves. This could get ugly.

2 comments:
Oh, those colors are divine.
I'm finding the most stressful part of flying is selecting the knitting projects and trying to be prepared for every situation while traveling. I hope you have a great time and get to knit everyday;)
Now, if ALL you did was readjust the amount of cables you used, I would drop the subject... but you spent SOOO much time working on Chart B... I just can't imagine this NOT being defined as a completely new project. After all, look at all the socks that get published, and some of them must start the same way.
But if you feel that way, I will bow to you and begin photographing my version and posting them... soon ;-)
Post a Comment