Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Why Knitterary Can't Knit. Erary.

I don't know how it happened, but every spare minute of my life has been hoovered up this week. And we can blame knitting. (Well, we could also blame that pesky little work ethic that drives me to do things like earn an income rather than knit. Someday, I will stop working and do nothing but knit and eat chocolate. Wait, why are you all laughing? I can SO stop working!)

But mostly, for this week anyway, we can blame knitting for the fact that I don't have much knitting time.

Last night, after a very long and intense work day, I got to do something new thanks to two knitters, Becca and Aleta, a delightful mother and daughter pair from my knitting group. They invited me to their family's Seder. (Have I spelled that right?) We ate, we sang, we ate, we drank, we ate, we read, we ate, we laughed, and then we ate some more. I had a marvelous time, and I didn't knit a single stitch. ps. I did not go home hungry.

Tonight ... the Yarn Harlot. Now, I know darn well I'm going to take my knitting with me. I'm sure I'll take it out of the bag, and I might even knit a few stitches. But let me tell you a little secret. Last time Her Royal Harlotness was in town, I had to rush straight from work to her booksigning, and I forgot my knitting bag. I know, I know, and the knitting police already fined me for that one. But....

.... it was wonderful. Instead of sitting there knitting, I got to sit there and look at what everyone else was knitting. It was like knitting group on steroids. There was an argyle sock behind me. A drop spindle in front of me. To the left, across the aisle, someone knitting left-handed with miniscule stitches on weenie little needles. (To that lady, I again apologize for hovering in the attempt to see exactly how you were knitting lefty. I was not stalking you. Really.)

Funnily enough, to the front right was a gorgeous baby blanket being knit by Kris, whom I spoke to for the very first time at that signing. And now we're carpooling to the new booksigning tonight. Go figure.

Tomorrow night is our regular SnB gathering, and then Saturday night, we're having a special edition SnB to celebrate the return of our favorite prodigal knitter. Vicky was such an integral part of our group that even though it's been months since she moved to NYC, I still haven't completely acclimated to her absence. I can't wait to see her and hear all about her new life without us. (pout)

A year ago, I didn't know any of these people.

Blame it on knitting.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Amazing how life changes...I too am blaming the knitting. How dare it...to bring together a great bunch of ladies!