Saturday, May 10, 2008

Whew!




















Those of you who have had the misfortune of witnessing my crocheting in person this week will understand the significance of this picture. All week, I've been on a mission to get the crib blanket 20" wide. The shower is June 1. I have a deadline. <---- read that line in a voice of doom

I've carefully avoided my knitting needles while laboring through my eight inch goal for the week. I'd promised myself that once I made it to 15", I could take an hour or two for knitting, and I did. That was the halfway mark, and it deserved a little knitting reward in celebration. But then that left five inches of crochet with no hope of a break.

So Tuesday, I knit a bit, then switched back to the blanket.

Wednesday, I crocheted during my lunch break. Then I took it to my SnB meeting Wednesday night. Then Thursday afternoon for open knitting at Nana's. By that point, I was all the way to eighteen inches, and ready to cry.

Those people who talk about how fast crochet is? They're a bunch of damn liars. It's not fast. It's endless. There's a whole ring of hell full of people crocheting a king-sized bed blanket. They've been working on it for millenia. You can almost see the pattern now. That's how slow crochet is.

Or maybe it's just me.

Well, whatever. I made my twenty inch goal for the week. My new week with my new goal starts tomorrow. That means I can KNIT today. And thank God for that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful and will be loved. You are so sweet to make the blanket.
Dreamsweaver

Carol said...

Hi,
Your rug is looking great!
Lucky little babe!
Crochet can be fast...but your Gran's rug pattern is slow because it's a Double Pattern...you have actually done 40inches of crochet!!
So it's not you that is slow it's the pattern.

Mine is progressing fairly slowly I've done 6 inches so far!and is
25 inches wide, 20 shells across.(I found an old ruler with inches marked)

It's a lovely thick pattern, very snuggy and warm.
We are coming into winter here, so it's fun to make, I don't think I could in summer when its 80 or 90 degrees F.

Cheers Carol
ps...that book sounds pretty depressing!!

Bridget said...

Good for you for making it as far as you have! I think it looks really pretty.

Unknown said...

I really didn't think you'd keep on like this... you're *really* chr*ch*ting. If I lived closer I'd so help you out. There are 'medications' for people who indulge in such torturous pursuits. And to think it's gonna get goobered on. Ah, but you have set goals, and achieved them, and knitting can commence (for awhile). In the meantime, over here in IN, we (the borg-collective and me) are cheering your efforts at being a hooker. Godspeed, knitta. C

Macoco said...

Good luck with your crochet goals this week!