Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pack Rat

















I am incorrigible.

I am hopeless.

I am taking enough sock yarn to knit eight socks, and I will be gone for five days.

The turquoise Baby Ull will join me in the cabin for the flight. My plan is to knit the more developed one up to the point where I'd have to pick up the gussets, then switch to the baby (the baby Baby Ull?) and knit the leg. That ought to last me until I land in Dallas. At least.

I started the second sock in that pair and knit part of the cuff because I am a knit klutz. I have a hard enough time with "join, being careful not to twist" while comfortably seated at my kitchen table in perfect isolation and peace. I don't even want to think about what kind of mutant moebius I might inadvertently knit if I were to try that join with turbulence.

Then we have the two remaining skeins of Bearfoot, in Raven and Wildflowers, and two little balls of Lorna's Laces in the Crazy Stripe colorway. Aptly named, that. It's not just crazy. It's almost psychotic. I have plans for that yarn that involve the Charlene Schurch book and a potentially stern finger wag at the jaywalkers -- details will follow.

And yes, of course, I have already scouted the location of the nearest yarn shop and have printed out a DART map and matched my schedule with their hours of business. Because god forbid I should not know where to go should I find myself running short of yarn. ::eyeroll::

You know, there was a time I could go to our lake house for an entire week and pack only one knitting project. I would do things like pack an extra pair of flipflops, or a whole stack of bathing suits, or extra toys for the kids. But only one knitting project, and somehow, that was okay.

Then. And now?

Well. I think we all know the answer to that. My security blanket has officially unravelled and returned to its native state, balls of yarn.

I don't know if I will have the opportunity to blog from Dallas. If not, have a great weekend and maybe I'll have a finished sock or two to show off on Sunday evening.

Special Note: Tina from the comments gets a gold star for being the first visitor to this blog to identify the quote in the "About Me" section. I bet Jane was a knitter, too.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kris said...

Oh come on...it's perfectly normal for an obsessed sock knitter to take more then she needs. Heck, you might not be in the mood for Lorna's and just want the Barefoot...you at least have the choice, right?

heather t said...

Aw, heck. I knew it was from Emma. Were you running a contest? :( (pouty in the comments today)