Sunday, July 22, 2007

Spoiler-Free Zone
















I hereby solemnly vow that nothing in this post will alert you to any details of plot, story, character, etc., in HP7.

I feel I have to make that promise because not everyone is being kind about letting the rest of us experience the book as we turn the pages. This morning at the bookstore, I got in the very long line with my book and was practically hopping with the desire to get through the line so I could go home and read. I had blocked out the weekend for this, canceling plans and ignoring all media so as not to inadvertently hear any spoilers. And I couldn't wait to start reading.

Then a small pack of rude teenaged girls got in line behind me and started reading the last pages out loud. Accent on loud. I was seriously pissed off. Told them all to shut up -- yes, I most certainly did, and the woman in front of me seconded my scold -- which sent them into gales of hormonal teenaged girl giggles. One of them apparently took my exhortation as encouragement to repeat a certain quote very loudly like a mantra. The quote was revealing, but not revelatory. Enough to let me know that I had correctly guessed one element of this book, but not enough to reveal the answer to any of the central questions surrounding this book.

Still, it was more than I wanted to hear.

So I got out of the line and walked to the other end of the store and watched until the horde left. Luckily, the line was moving quickly, mainly because people were fleeing from these girls.

Anyway. Pissed me off, and I sure won't do the same to anyone else.

The picture above shows you how I've spent the day and the evening. Tea, a little chocolate, some plain knitting, and a very much anticipated book. I only wish every day could be represented thus.

It's a little hard to get any knitting done while reading because I keep getting caught up in the story. It's also a little hard to push away from the table long enough to do things such as -- well, such as anything other than read this book. I'm every bit as captivated by this one as I have been by the first six, and that's saying a lot, especially in light of what the annoying teenaged girls revealed to half the bookstore.

So, to all of you reading HP7, I tip my needles. Enjoy it, and may nothing spoil it for you.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kris said...

I had a very similar set up with me on the couch, propped by pillows..knitting in hand. Ended up twisting my circ's and had to put the book down for a sec...it was tough. It will be a sad day when I'm done. sigh.

Rebecca F said...

I didn't even pick up my knitting once yesterday. I just tore through the book. :)

Enjoy your reading.

Unknown said...

It's possible to knit and read Harry Potter at the same time? Please teach me you secrets, oh wise one.

Tina said...

It looks lovely and relaxing!

The almost same thing happened to my mom - an 8 yr old girl in line flipped to the back, read the ending, then offered to tell everyone around her what happened. Mom had to leave ASAP. Sheesh!