Monday, July 2, 2007

Jaywalking




















I'm knitting the heel flap of the first jaywalker. Not sure what I think of the pattern or the result. On the one hand, the chevron looks cool and it's a fun and easy knit. On the other hand, the resulting fabric has some properties that might not make for the most comfy sock. It's dense, tight, and not very flexible. The ribbing and the chevron don't seem to coexist peacefully. And I'm afraid the sock may be too large.

But I'm going to keep knitting. I'm debating whether to stay in pattern for the whole foot, or knit the gussets down to a smaller number of total stitches in a more flexible stockinette fabric. Anyone have any thoughts to share on that? I'm about the last knitter on the planet to knit jaywalkers, so I imagine there's a wealth of insight out there regarding this pattern.














I also cast on these boot socks in Dale Baby Ull. Though it's barely apparent, there will be a simple pattern on these. My initial thought was to do a cable of some sort, but after swatching the yarn, I decided on one of the 4-stitch patterns from the Charlene Schurch book. These ought to be quick and fun.

The only other thing going on right now is the mad scramble leading up to RWA's annual conference. I'm trying to focus on things like clearing off my desk rather than on things like which yarn to pack. I wound off a couple of skeins over the weekend so I have ready yarn to choose from. But with all the real work I need to accomplish this week, worrying about yarn just can't be high on the to-do list. (We'll see how long that resolve sticks.)
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Kris said...

Oh please...that wont last long.

You've probably already thought about it like a dozen times;) Heck I've already thought about it for you! hehe.

Unknown said...

You'll probably finish your jaywalkers before I do...and mine have been on the needles for two months. They're looking great, though.

brooke t. higgins said...

Wow... I love how the blacks and grays look in your Jaywalker. Gorgeous. I'm kind of surprised you say they'll be too big... all of my experience with Jaywalkers is that they're too tight and too small. So, I've stopped making them for myself. :) Good luck!

heather t said...

Nope, you're not the last person to knit the oh-so-famous Jaywalker. **raises hand** But yours are among the best-looking I've seen. That self-striping Regia really shows off the movement.

Macoco said...

I haven't knit the jaywaker either ;) Yours is gorgeous though. The black and grey is really stunning/sophisticated.

Tina said...

I agree with you that the jaywalker fabric is not very flexible, but I found that on the foot, the stockinette bottom makes up for the stiffness on the instep. If it fits your leg, I wouldn't necesarily change the foot.